Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent week 1

Today starts the church's Christmas season. While consumer America has been at it since Halloween, I now feel justified in listening to Christmas music and  baking unhealthy and delicious items. But one thing that I have already finished and am now simply fighting the pressure for "more" is my Christmas shopping.

For the 1st year ever, I am done with my Christmas shopping before Dec. 1. Hooray! I get weird about our focus on gift giving during this holiday. I don't like feeling like I'm giving out of obligation; I want to find the perfect gift; or I have trouble sticking to a budget. The past several months I've come across a number of awesome products that help someone else, in addition to giving you a gift to on Christmas morning.This is a way for me to feel a whole lot better about the gift I give and the purpose of this season. It makes my money matter more than the item that gets shipped. It allows me to live out my values of care and concern for a hurting world. It gives me a neat way to give to people I know and love, and people that some may consider unlovable or forgotten.

A few examples have been added to one of my Pinterest boards - Shopping that's Worth It. I LOVE being able to help someone in need while loving my friends and family through gifts at Christmas. I hope you'll check out some of the ideas and sites included there and give me more suggestions.

Merry Christmas!