Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Advent week 2


My church is going through the book of Matthew. So I'm weeding through genealogies  of Jesus, which in the past has been pretty boring and something I skimmed over. Lately though, I've been reminded of how powerful the family history was.

http://sacredsandwich.com/archives/8072
About a year ago I heard a sermon on the passage with all the names and was struck by the significance of including women (women who didn't have great reputations) in the history. It wasn't normal to give props to the moms - don't get me started on that! But in this instance 5 women with storied pasts and scandalous claims to fame are included. I love this :) It reminds all of us that Jesus has family baggage and makes him more human. These women had names and were included in Jesus' story regardless of how uncommon a practice this was.

The variety of backgrounds included in the family history invite us to be part of the history too. To end today - check out Behold the Lamb of God by Andrew Peterson and listen to Matthew Begats. It seriously makes the genealogy SO cool :) Enjoy.