Friday, October 19, 2012

Water - taking the plunge

I took the plunge and started something. I've been thinking about it for a while, praying about it even. I've been asking God - what should I do? I care about the world and there are so many ways its hurting. What are you asking of me?

For over the last 3-4 years I've asked those questions, learned more about social issues affecting our world, and made some small changes (give more money, buy more fair trade, tweet about it, etc.). But as I was thinking of how I might celebrate living n Winston Salem for 5 years, I remembered a friend who celebrated his birthday by "giving it away" to an organization called Charity:Water.  This was a few weeks ago and I came across their September Campaign. They do a major project every year around their "birthday" and this year it is in Rwanda. So I took the plunge.

I want to help them. My mission is to raise $5000 in the next three months. I started the campaign through Charity:Water because it's time for me to do something. And to watch God bless the effort. And to see lives changed for the better. There are millions of people who walk miles every day just to get water to drink. Consider the children who skip primary school to lug 40-pound Jerry cans on their backs. The family members who try to nurse their brothers and sisters back to health after a waterborne illness has infected them.

So I'm asking anyone who can to donate for clean water. Every penny you give will go straight to building water projects in developing nations. And just like I have all of you as friends in my own community, we'll be able to see the community we impacted when the projects we funded are complete!To give go to http://mycharitywater.org/lindapollock