Wednesday, March 6, 2013

An Examination of Justice pt 2


There’s a famous saying, “It’s not enough to pull the drowning people out of a raging stream, you have to walk back upstream and see who’s throwing them in in the first place.”

This was a key metaphor for some of the talks I heard at the Justice Conference. It’s about going to the source of the injustice and engaging in changing the entire system. It’s certainly not the only way to develop a theology of justice, but it does have much to teach us. 

I attended a panel of people who represented minority groups in America. They were well-spoken and hard hitting men who weren’t afraid to engage in the conversation of justice. They honed in on an aspect I hadn’t thought about specifically before. 

Reconciliation

Definition --> To reconcile: to make (oneself or another) no longer opposed, usually considered in terms of reconciling to God – getting right with Him through prayer and forgiveness as described in the Bible. I usually think of 1John 1:9 which says “If we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.”

I was rereading this section of scripture and noticed that immediately following the section on how we can get right with God, John’s letter builds to the often quoted love scripture which states

 
The same thing happens in Ephesians, written by Paul. In Ephesians 2:14-16 Paul explains how Christ reconciled by the Jew and the Gentile to Himself through the cross. Then in chapter 4, describes unity in the body of believers and how each of us as a part. 4:15-16 states, “Instead we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. He makes the whole body fit together perfect. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is health and growing and full of love.”

The panelists made 3 big points regarding reconciliation:

  1. Reconcile the past in the present
  2. Reconcile others to Jesus
  3. Reconcile others to ourselves

This was a whole new level of the definition of both reconciliation and justice for me, which I am still absorbing. This puts the onus on us! It changes things. We aren’t helping others only to do the will of God – instead, the act of bring about reconciliation, of pursuing justice, is making ourselves like those we serve.  

True Confession Time: 
As a white woman I realize (and continue to realize) a lot of the privilege I have simply because of our country’s history and to whom I was born. As a Christian I see how the foot of the cross is level for all to come before it.  This makes me ache with compassion for those who have been ostracized in our culture. It makes me angry that I can only relate so much to those I wish to love well. It frustrates me that the barriers in the Triad of NC seem so high I don’t know how to get around them because I live in my own Christian bubble of a reality. As an ideal I want a more diverse lifestyle, but as a practice I’m not doing anything about it. This is one of the biggest challenges I came back from the Justice Conference with and still haven’t figured out where to go with it. 

To end, see this video from a recently deceased activist who was scheduled to speak as part of this panel. His words on a multicultural church both challenge and encourage me.