Saturday, March 2, 2013

An Examination of Justice pt. 1


Have you ever defined "justice"? It's difficult to do. I just googled the word and, unfortunately, the first thing that came up was the girls’ clothing store. The US Dept. of Justice also showed up. Google couldn't really help me nail down this abstract idea.

I've been interested in what people call "Social Justice" for a while. I can't pinpoint what started it for me, but it was during graduate school in 2008 and has continued since. This usually brings to mind non-profits who work to help those who can't help themselves, advocacy (another word hard to define), or going abroad to help people in a third world country. I wanted to expand it and really figure out where the rubber meets the road in this thing called justice.

Many of you know I have a 30before30 list that expires Dec. 14, 2013. One of my items is "attend a conference that isn't work related." I blogged in January about Passion 2013 and that helped me check this item off my list, but in addition, I signed up for the Justice Conference a while back. I've been looking forward to it for a while because I wanted to be in a space and time to examine this ideal and learn from people who have explored this way more than me!


This conference was last weekend and I’m still processing all I heard to bring it down to a manageable level. This is the first in a series of posts on justice as I reflect on the speakers, organizations and thoughts I experienced as I journeyed to Philadelphia, the city of Brotherly Love, to engage in a long conversation with Christian thought leaders regarding this topic.

The Justice Conference was started by one of the key speakers and here is a brief overview of what we experienced: The Justice Conference is a two-day annual event to promote dialogue around justice related issues, featuring internationally acclaimed speakers igniting a conversation around the theology of justice - an understanding of God should compel love for others and engagement in justice. The Justice Conference has developed into a movement of students, teachers, business people, parents, artists, social entrepreneurs, pastors, advocates and academics all of whom are discovering the paradox that true life is found when we give our lives away on behalf of others.

I went on my own, and on my own behalf to simply absorb and begin to engage in this increasingly interesting and compelling part of my walk in Christ.

Start with this thought provoking video from one of the artists (spoken word) Micah Bornes.

Is Justice Worth It?