Sunday, September 16, 2012

Waiting

So a friend posted this great blog on waiting on Facebook and I thought it was fitting to post here and add my 2 cents :) Check it out: http://gracefortheroad.com/2012/02/03/idontwait/ 

http://gracefortheroad.com/2012/02/03/idontwait/


Waiting is a tricky thing because usually we don't know exactly how long the waiting is taking. Sometimes even when we do, we have the same emotions as when we don't (i.e. frustration when waiting for the bathroom or the next life stage to begin).

God created waiting - from the time a morning dew falls to the time the sun is up or the 9 months of pregnancy before becoming a mother - God has designed waiting into our lives. God has us in waiting for the return of Christ.

To wait well is tough. I know - many of my friends are married and/or having children while I'm still single. This has been one of the most profound waiting experiences of my life. And I'm still in it. And I don't know when it ends.

However, the perspective offered in the blog posted above points out how present-oriented our God is and how we can live fully engaged in His story even in the waiting. It has been my experience that we are quick to put God into a Genie role when that's not what He wants or tells us.




God wants all of us, in this moment and the waiting usually serves a purpose that we don't fully grasp until the waiting is over.

Even recently when my church announced its new senior pastor, we unanimously voted and took joy in the announcement because of how well it seems to fit. But we waited over 3 years for this to happen! And with the name and story of the pastor before us, we are excited and feel good about the season of waiting. The search committee shared story after story of the activity during the "waiting" and how God's hand was upon them.

I appreciate the blog - I don't wait anymore because it puts our focus back on what it should - God's desire for us to be wholly His and live our lives as created beings in His image. We are to be like clay in the potter's hand that may need refined in the fire but then turns into a beautiful and useful piece of pottery.

This song kept repeating in my head as I wrote this so here's how I'm ending this thought process: