Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kiva Opportunity


Today is my sister's birthday and today she's helping empower an entrepreneur to start their new business. It's a great day. 

Have you heard of Kiva? Kiva is a non-profit organization working to alleviate poverty by connecting people through lending. Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world. It's pretty awesome.

Maybe 3-4 years ago I received a Kiva account as a birthday present from a sweet friend. I then applied the loan to a group of women in Ghana and they got started with 72 other people's help from around the world who also gave their micro loans toward this group.

Then I was repaid the amount I put in and was able to lend it again to a woman in the Philippines who got to start her retail business.

This was so fun I decided to pass it on. So for Father's Day last year, my Dad got to choose an entrepreneur to support. He had fun reading the different kinds of businesses and getting to make an investment in someone he chose. I loved that we got to share this.

At Christmas this year, he mentioned it again and how cool it was. :)

Now Angela is in the group too and I'm excited to see what kind of impact our small contributions can make.



If you need a gift for someone in the future, Kiva is a GREAT idea, if I say so myself. Check it out