Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanks and Giving

I saw eggnog at Harris Teeter the other day. I even saw eggnog creamer. I said to myself sarcastically "tis the season" and realized the season has already taken over. It's too bad that "the season" is not Christmas or Thanksgiving, it's Materialism and Consumerism in my mind. 

Recently I've been thinking about a lot. 
  • I'm working on a list of 30 things to do before I'm 30 - and I have more than 1 year to work in them ;) 
  • I'm making lists in this book covered in Peace Signs and thinking about my dreams.
  • I've even signed up for a purpose and passion workshop at work in December. 

With all this renewed inspiration to conquer and pursue goals, I've also wanted to think about gift giving this Christmas to avoid such negative feelings about "the season." One thing that always comes to my mind is the Greater Good Network (which is a great name btw). They run the Hunger Site and provide ways for anyone to give to someone who really needs it, while purchasing items that are Fairly Traded and make thoughtful gifts to increase awareness of faraway places. Last year I bought a few items for my family and also provided food to people I've never met. 


The Hunger Site provides simple, effective, feel-good ways to address an urgent, specific humanitarian need: the eradication of world hunger. More info on who they give to is available here 

I encourage everyone to look at the site for gift ideas and look for ways to help. They partner with Breast Cancer, Literacy, Animals, Veterans, Autism, and Rainforest causes as well. An easy thing to do to help them right now is "like" the Hunger Site on Facebook. You can do "Free Clicks for Food" where each day you go to the site and click through some of their sponsors (you don't even have to purchase anything) and you're giving toward the cause to end world hunger. 

In addition to purchasing things in a more responsible and meaningful way this year, I'm also looking at purchasing less and making things :) I want to experience the heart of Christmas - claiming the joy in the birth of a Savior, not giving gifts as a cultural norm and buying into all the hype. I think the time I spend making something from my heart or purchasing a meaningful gift and food for someone in poverty will be much more of an investment in my faith and keep my center on the "reason for the season" (lol. I am aware of the cheesiness of that phrase). 

Consider Redefining Christmas. Let Harry Connick Jr. convince you :)