Sunday, April 7, 2013

7: FOOD pt 2

Well days 5, 6, and 7 of the FOOD challenge were a bit easier, or I just got lazier. It's hard to say. Remember on Day 1 when I rationalized that if coffee was given to me then I could include it in my food that day? Well the same thing happened just before Easter when I went to stay with my grandmother. She is very hard to say no to and she's consistently asking you if you're hungry, followed by 6-7 choices of your favorite foods, she keeps on hand in her refrigerator (including a lot of cheese which I gave up for all of Lent). I was officially done with the challenge by Easter morning and thoroughly enjoyed the choices for our brunch. One of the tastiest parts was the bunny cake competition which is included below:





Conclusions thus far:
I value choices and variety far above many other things.
Food is easily an idol in my life given the struggle this challenge was.
Food is easily an idol in the lives of my friends as well. We all did our share of complaining, justifying, rule-bending, and excuse-making in our first week.
This book is seriously messing with my life.
Grocery shopping has a different meaning for me now and I try to remember how grateful I am for the choices, flavors and recipes I can enjoy.
I will revisit this idea of fasting, limiting food choices, or simply reducing (by eating what is already in my house) more often in the coming months. A good habit doesn't develop in only 7 days. In some ways, our altered challenges might be setting us up for more frustration than if we did 30 days.

To end this section in full irony, enjoy this song from Chris August on his love of Candy :)


So the next chapter is on Clothes and we've accepted the challenge. I will commit to a clothes audit (truthfully counting up all my current articles of clothing and sharing that number with my small group) and wearing 7 items of clothing for 7 days (as an adaptation we agreed 7 items for work and 7 items for non-work, since we all have dress codes to abide by and the author did not). Stay tuned :)