Sunday, August 5, 2012

Opa! Checked something off my list!

On my "30 before I'm 30" list I said I wanted to be a counselor for missionaries because I thought this would be a cool overlap of my interests and gifts. As of July 24 - CHECK! I did it! 


For an entire week in July I was in an island resort in Greece. And while it was a nice vacation, I wasn't there solely to improve my tan and eat feta cheese (both of which I did do though).

I was volunteering my time to serve as a counselor for missionaries that live and work in Europe. It's a pretty cool program called Member Care in which all the full time staff meet with someone to sort of check in with while they gather for a week to relax, reconnect with each other and rejuvenate before heading back to their homes in places like Macedonia, Scotland and Spain.

I mentioned back in March that I was headed to Greece. But now it's actually happened and it's been a blessing to be used by God in this unique way. God stretched me in Greece through my interactions with the missionaries. While I won't share all the details, I will share that God's faithfulness is evident in His people who are willing to leave their comfortable suburban lifestyles in the US and make a home in a European city where their kids learn multiple languages and it's normal to vacation to Greece. God's grace was evident in the woman who had just won her battle with cancer and used it as a way to open conversations about God in her city. God's goodness was demonstrated in how quickly and deeply missionary kids develop lifelong friendships with each other. It's like He knows they need people who understand being a third culture kid. God's joy showed up in our worship times and through the sweet conversations struck up by the pool or the Aegean Sea. It was a beautiful trip, in more ways than one.

I also got to do a guided tour of Corinth. I'll post about that separately, but many of the photos are from that day outing. I didn't take a ton of pictures at the conference because we were working and were in the same place everyday.